Old 26-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Leaves on air layered branch turning yellow

Thanks for the responses. I had read how to do this any number of times and
thought it was a fairly straight forward process. Apparantly, this is not
the case. At any rate - thanks for the advice, I will definitely move it
into a more shaded area and mist it a few times a day. I really would like
to save the branches.

Now - for future reference - I essentially girdled the branches down to
where the wood is a greenish-white (removed all the bark and cadmium layer),
dusted it with rooting hormone and then wrapped it in wet spaghnum moss. I
then wrapped that with plastic sheeting and secured at both ends. Did I go
too deep? Should I, perhaps, have left a couple strips of the bark intact
so the branch wasn't completely girdled? Any help on this would be
appreciated as I had hoped to use this method as my primary means of
propogating new trees...our growing season here is too short for seeds to be
really practical and I don't seem to have much luck with cuttings!

Thanks again,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++