Old 27-06-2003, 12:32 AM
dave weil

Default Problems in the garden

On 26 Jun 2003 21:36:25 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In dave weil wrote:
Felicia:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems1.jpg

Could this be overfertilization maybe?

It looks like a developing black spot mess to me - combined with either
over-watering or poor drainage. I doubt it's overfeeding.

It's not blackspot. First, the yellow is different. Second, the leaves
don't drop off when they get to be that color like blackspotted leaves
do. And they just look "different" than the normal blackspot - not
sure I can describe it.

As for the Neem oil, I agree it can burn. It's better when you spray
out of direct sunlight, eg. late afternoon. I use so-called 'Pest Oil'
which is a non-burning, advanced form of white oil that specifically
doesn't burn rose foliage.

Well, I'm packing up the Neem, that's for sure.

Dave, try a milk spray. 1 part whole milk to 6 parts water. It has
enough fat content to coat and gloss the leaves (i.e. do what your oil
spray does), plus a bunch of proteins that turn nice and toxic to fungal
diseases.

As well as driving the neighbors away when it sours, right?

(Just kidding)

Whether it works on Japanese beetles, who knows - they may not like the
taste. Give it a try - at the very least your blackspot will go.

I'm going to go back to Orthonex and see what happens. I don't think I
have much longer with the Japanese beetles in any case. I seem to
remember about 4 weeks, but I'm not sure...

I might give the milk thing a try though...