Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 AM
SugarChile

Default Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA)

Consider renting one instead of buying, or better still, renting the
services of someone who has one of those big Troy-bilts or something
similar. It doesn't sound like a small tiller will do the job, and the big
ones are a bear to handle. If you till it once, to break it up and
incorporate whatever amendments you can get your hands on, then keep it
under a permanent mulch (straw, grass clippings), you won't necessarily have
to till it again.

I found an ad in the local "Merchandiser" paper (once a week, free, mostly
ads) and had a guy come and till my 100 sq.ft. vegetable plot. For $40 he
went over it twice, and it was well worth it. This is my fourth year with
that garden, I've added compost and mulch each year, and the soil has gone
from heavy clay to rich dark loam full of earthworms. It's a wonderful
thing.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"The Other Harry" wrote in message

A related question concerns power tillers:

- Am I going to want to buy one? If so, any recommendations?

I do realize that many of you will laugh at the notion of
getting a tiller for such a small plot. I tried manually
tilling that SOB with a pick and a shovel last year, and,
given the current condition of the soil, that is not something
which I look forward to doing. I'm not even sure I am
physically capable of doing it.

Thanks!

Harry