Old 24-06-2003, 10:56 AM
The Other Harry

Default Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA)

As some of you may recall from a previous post I made here a
few weeks back concerning tree selection, not too long ago I
moved from California to Waynesboro, VA, and I am finally
trying to come to grips with all the things I want to do
outside. There's quite a lot to do out there -- and inside as
well -- and since I am not an experienced gardener I will
probably be asking some dumb questions every now and then for
the foreseeable future.

One thing I neglected to mention in my previous post, which is
probably relevant to no else but me, is that I also recently
awoke from a several years that were dedicated to the
consumption of alcohol. The point of owning up to that is so
anyone who may relate to just how much fun *that* is, will
understand that my yard has taken on a symbolic value which
goes well beyond merely wanting it to look nice.

Now then, today's question:

My back yard includes a small garden plot (maybe 8' x 16")
which has been fallow for many years. It is currently
overgrown with weeds of various types.

What I would like to do with it this year is simply to get it
ready to use next year. In my mind -- so far at least --
doing this will involve installing some raised borders (I have
already researched previous posts to this group with regard to
what to do and not to do in the border department), and to
prepare the soil.

The soil is typical Virginia clay. I have read about that
also. The general advice being to add compost, organic
materials, and maybe a bag or two of gypsum every year or so.
Mix everything together, and the soil should gradually
improve. In the fall, my impression is that things like
leaves and lawn trimmings can go right in.

That gets me to my question, which concerns tilling.

- Should I just go ahead right now and till those friggin'
weeds directly into the soil? (along with some compost, I
suppose) Or should I remove the existing weeds before
tilling?

A related question concerns power tillers:

- Am I going to want to buy one? If so, any recommendations?

I do realize that many of you will laugh at the notion of
getting a tiller for such a small plot. I tried manually
tilling that SOB with a pick and a shovel last year, and,
given the current condition of the soil, that is not something
which I look forward to doing. I'm not even sure I am
physically capable of doing it.

Thanks!

Harry

Old 24-06-2003, 02:20 PM
David J Bockman

If I haven't already done so, Welcome O. Henry. I am overjoyed at your long
term commitment to desist alcoholic consumption. As an aside, last year I
worked with a client on a long term residential design project which took
several months to install, and I'm still friendly with the very familial
neighborhood... one of the immediate neighbors was a life-long alcohol
abuser... one morning I arrived on site to hear the news he had been found
dead in his sleep (he was in his mid-40's). So sad, and completely
unnecessary. Anyway, to respond:

"The Other Harry" wrote in message

Now then, today's question:

My back yard includes a small garden plot (maybe 8' x 16")
which has been fallow for many years. It is currently
overgrown with weeds of various types.

Reads like what my house was like only yours is on a smaller scale.

What I would like to do with it this year is simply to get it
ready to use next year. In my mind -- so far at least --
doing this will involve installing some raised borders (I have
already researched previous posts to this group with regard to
what to do and not to do in the border department), and to
prepare the soil.

When you write 'raised borders', do you mean an elevated garden bed, or a
defined border of some material (brick, stone, wood, etc.) separating garden
spaces?

The soil is typical Virginia clay. I have read about that
also. The general advice being to add compost, organic
materials, and maybe a bag or two of gypsum every year or so.
Mix everything together, and the soil should gradually
improve. In the fall, my impression is that things like
leaves and lawn trimmings can go right in.

Absolutely. Clean grass trimmings (no chemicals, few if any weed seeds
please) can be sprinkled thinly on your beds after every mowing. I
especially like doing this in the fall, as the combination of shredded brown
leaves and green grass seems to be the perfect combo for quick composting.
If you have room, a compost pile would be great too-- bear in mind it takes
an enormous volume of organic material to create a small amount of compost,
so the bigger the better.

That gets me to my question, which concerns tilling.

- Should I just go ahead right now and till those friggin'
weeds directly into the soil? (along with some compost, I
suppose) Or should I remove the existing weeds before
tilling?

Maybe the best approach would be to lay black plastic sheeting over the
areas you are going to work and then wait several weeks. The heat and lack
of light will not only kill the existing weeds, it will also cook the
millions of weed seeds in the soil waiting for the chance to germinate after
you disturb the soil by tilling. After things are thoroughly cooked, you can
then spread as much amendment as is humanly possible and till it in. If it
were me, I would try to time this in the fall so that after tilling, I could
broadcast a green cover like winter rye or mustard, which would not only
crowd out many winter-germinating weeds which may have squeaked through, it
will also provide soil stabilization and is a natural 'fumigant'. See

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/agricu.../msg00035.html

and

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/agricu.../msg00036.html

For more good info.

A related question concerns power tillers:

- Am I going to want to buy one? If so, any recommendations?

As large as you can muscle. Those little electric things are ridiculous
(pardon me anyone who uses them) and cannot till very deeply. I would
suggest visiting several rental centers and perhaps trying out a couple
different models before purchasing one.

I do realize that many of you will laugh at the notion of
getting a tiller for such a small plot. I tried manually
tilling that SOB with a pick and a shovel last year, and,
given the current condition of the soil, that is not something
which I look forward to doing. I'm not even sure I am
physically capable of doing it.

Yeah, double digging is the pits!

Dave
Fairfax, VA

Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 AM
SugarChile

Consider renting one instead of buying, or better still, renting the
services of someone who has one of those big Troy-bilts or something
similar. It doesn't sound like a small tiller will do the job, and the big
ones are a bear to handle. If you till it once, to break it up and
incorporate whatever amendments you can get your hands on, then keep it
under a permanent mulch (straw, grass clippings), you won't necessarily have
to till it again.

I found an ad in the local "Merchandiser" paper (once a week, free, mostly
ads) and had a guy come and till my 100 sq.ft. vegetable plot. For $40 he
went over it twice, and it was well worth it. This is my fourth year with
that garden, I've added compost and mulch each year, and the soil has gone
from heavy clay to rich dark loam full of earthworms. It's a wonderful
thing.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 AM
zxcvbob

The Other Harry wrote:

[...]

First, congratulations on getting dried out. That is a major accomplishment.

Did you mean 8x16 feet, or 8 feet x 16 inches? (I'll assume 16 feet)

As far as the weeds are concerned, it depends on what the weeds are. If
there are perennial grasses that run underground (like johnson grass or
bemuda), I would not hesitate to spray the whole thing with Roundup. I
know most of the folks here are too holy to use Roundup, but that's the
only way to control some weeds.

If you don't have invasive perennial grasses, and if the weeds are not full
of seeds, I would mow them down and leave the clippings on the ground. If
they are full of seeds, I would mow them down and bag the clippings and
discard them.

Then I think I would plant a cover crop; maybe mustard. That is vigorous
and fast growning and should be able to crowd out the weeds the come back.
This fall, rent a tiller and till the mustard under, along with some
gypsum and any organic matter you can get your hands on. Check with your
county agent and see if there's a winter cover crop you can plant, like
maybe Austrian peas. Plant that and/or winter rye in the fall and till it
under in the early spring. Now the soil should be good enough to grow
things you transplant. The weeds will keep you very busy, but you can
probably control them by hand now instead of herbicides. Keep adding
compost and grass clippings as you can. By the next year you ought to have
the weeds under control enough to plant things (beans, corn, squash,
melons, cucumbers, etc.) directly in the ground from seeds. You will
probably never get rid of all the weed seeds in the ground just waiting for
you to disturb the soil, but they will get much easier to pull when your
soil is better.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob

[IMG] code is On

prepping peaches? Emery Davis[_4_] United Kingdom 0 31-08-2012 11:31 PM
Unusual occurences this yesr Malcolm United Kingdom 6 10-10-2011 11:02 PM
prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 8 08-12-2004 02:08 PM
prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 1 07-12-2004 05:35 PM
prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 0 06-12-2004 11:48 AM