Old 27-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Fungus Gnats - Tips?

animaux wrote in
:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:16:35 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

I've heard people talk about pouring boiling (or at least hot) water
into the soil. Is this a bad idea? I mean, it'll probably kill the
gnats but will the plant survive? Maybe it's something you do before
planting ....

- Salty

I've never heard that, but it will certainly kill plants if boiling
water is poured into a container plant.

If you goggle for "fungus gnats boiling water" you'll find stuff like

http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=fungus+gnats+boiling+water&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=2qvp37%24h6g%
40bmerha64.bnr.ca&rnum=2

from 1994! I've never tried it (never had a problem with fungus gnats) and
reading some of the posts, it seems like nobody else has tried it, either!

- Salty