Old 26-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Scott

Default Fungus Gnats - Tips?

Can anyone provide me with a non-chemical way of getting rid of fungus gnats
(affecting my indoor plants)? I have already reduced the amount of water
given to the plant, so I am looking for some home remedy to kill-off the
remaining eggs, larvae and flies.

Thanks for any help -

Old 26-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Lynne

BT for the maggots. To trap adults, disposable yellow cups inverted and
painted w/Tanglefoot. Don't forget to leave 1/2" or so unpainted so you can
pick them up...

.. .

Old 26-06-2003, 05:32 PM
animaux

You can buy the perfect remedy I know of he

http://www.gardensalive.com/item_dis...uctNumber=1962

You can also buy it for less he

http://www.greenfire.net/hot/P032.html

The key ingredient which attacks the larval stage is Bt-Israelensis-H-14. It is
a very specific strain of bacillus which works far better than ordinary
Bt Israelensis. It's more specific.

It does cost a bit, but has a two year shelf life and if you water your plants
once a month with a dose of it, you will never have another fungus gnat.

Victoria

Old 26-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Salty Thumb

"Scott" wrote in
:

Can anyone provide me with a non-chemical way of getting rid of fungus
gnats (affecting my indoor plants)? I have already reduced the amount
of water given to the plant, so I am looking for some home remedy to
kill-off the remaining eggs, larvae and flies.

Thanks for any help -

I've heard people talk about pouring boiling (or at least hot) water into
the soil. Is this a bad idea? I mean, it'll probably kill the gnats but
will the plant survive? Maybe it's something you do before planting ....

- Salty
Old 27-06-2003, 12:20 AM
animaux

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:16:35 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

I've heard people talk about pouring boiling (or at least hot) water into
the soil. Is this a bad idea? I mean, it'll probably kill the gnats but
will the plant survive? Maybe it's something you do before planting ....

- Salty

I've never heard that, but it will certainly kill plants if boiling water is
poured into a container plant.

Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Valkyrie

"Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone provide me with a non-chemical way of getting rid of fungus

gnats
(affecting my indoor plants)? I have already reduced the amount of water
given to the plant, so I am looking for some home remedy to kill-off the
remaining eggs, larvae and flies.

Thanks for any help -

I sprinkle cinnamon on the surface of the soil. Gets rid of any I have
everytime.

Val

Old 27-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Salty Thumb

animaux wrote in
:

wrote:

I've heard people talk about pouring boiling (or at least hot) water
into the soil. Is this a bad idea? I mean, it'll probably kill the
gnats but will the plant survive? Maybe it's something you do before
planting ....

- Salty

I've never heard that, but it will certainly kill plants if boiling
water is poured into a container plant.

If you goggle for "fungus gnats boiling water" you'll find stuff like

http://groups.google.com/groups?
q=fungus+gnats+boiling+water&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=2qvp37%24h6g%
40bmerha64.bnr.ca&rnum=2

from 1994! I've never tried it (never had a problem with fungus gnats) and
reading some of the posts, it seems like nobody else has tried it, either!

- Salty
Old 28-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Lynne

One study showed that the color red was superior to yellow, blue, white or
green colored traps used against fungus gnat.

.. .

"Lynne" wrote in message
BT for the maggots. To trap adults, disposable yellow cups inverted and
painted w/Tanglefoot. Don't forget to leave 1/2" or so unpainted so you

can
pick them up...

.. .