Old 27-06-2003, 07:56 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Purple sprouting broccoli

I would just pick it off. Sometimes erratic watering and conditions can make
them go a bit berserk

shannie wrote:
: Hi Folks,
: I planted some seeds in March in peat pots, they grew very well and
: planted them in the ground where they are to grow in late May, by
: which time they were very sturdy and about 5-7 leaves. They are all
: around 18" now and very healthy, lots of lovely large green leaves,
: however, one has begun to sprout the lovely purple stalk(?) from the
: tip and a few coming at the sides, according to the seed packet
: they're not to be harvested until october onwards....is it running to
: seed? if so is it because I've fed it too much (nettle manure),
: watered it too much? is there a way of stopping it by picking out the
: tip, dig it up?....oh and would it be edible?..or is it just
: early?....none of the others are sprouting yet from what I can see.
: Our weather's been in the mid 20s for the past fortnight, little or
: no rain and very humid if any of this helps.
:
: Thanks again

Robert South West England