Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 PM
shannie

Default Purple sprouting broccoli

Hi Folks,
I planted some seeds in March in peat pots, they grew very well and planted
them in the ground where they are to grow in late May, by which time they
were very sturdy and about 5-7 leaves. They are all around 18" now and very
healthy, lots of lovely large green leaves, however, one has begun to sprout
the lovely purple stalk(?) from the tip and a few coming at the sides,
according to the seed packet they're not to be harvested until october
onwards....is it running to seed? if so is it because I've fed it too much
(nettle manure), watered it too much? is there a way of stopping it by
picking out the tip, dig it up?....oh and would it be edible?..or is it just
early?....none of the others are sprouting yet from what I can see. Our
weather's been in the mid 20s for the past fortnight, little or no rain and
very humid if any of this helps.

Thanks again
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 27-06-2003, 07:56 AM
The Devil's Advocate

I would just pick it off. Sometimes erratic watering and conditions can make
them go a bit berserk

shannie wrote:
[...]
:
: Thanks again

Robert South West England

Old 27-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"shannie" writes:

| I planted some seeds in March in peat pots, they grew very well and planted
| them in the ground where they are to grow in late May, by which time they
| were very sturdy and about 5-7 leaves. They are all around 18" now and very
| healthy, lots of lovely large green leaves, however, one has begun to sprout
| the lovely purple stalk(?) from the tip and a few coming at the sides,
| according to the seed packet they're not to be harvested until october
| onwards....is it running to seed? if so is it because I've fed it too much
| (nettle manure), watered it too much? is there a way of stopping it by
| picking out the tip, dig it up?....oh and would it be edible?..or is it just
| early?....none of the others are sprouting yet from what I can see. Our
| weather's been in the mid 20s for the past fortnight, little or no rain and
| very humid if any of this helps.

Most biennials will behave as annuals under good conditions.
Broccoli is no exception.

You may as well cut any shoots that come now, and they will be
exactly as edible as at any other time of year!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Chris Norton

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:49:00 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

[...]

I would consider it an early crop myself. Yeah sure the packet says
october BUT things dont grow to the packet all the time. 8-)

Enjoy.

(P.S. thats my opinion only and may be complete rubbish)
Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes

Hi Folks,
I planted some seeds in March in peat pots, they grew very well and planted
them in the ground where they are to grow in late May, by which time they
were very sturdy and about 5-7 leaves. They are all around 18" now and very
healthy, lots of lovely large green leaves, however, one has begun to sprout
the lovely purple stalk(?) from the tip and a few coming at the sides,
according to the seed packet they're not to be harvested until october
onwards....is it running to seed?

Sounds like it

if so is it because I've fed it too much
(nettle manure), watered it too much?

Probably a combination of warm spring and summer and not enough water
giving the plant a bit of stress and inducing the urge to procreate.
Everything in my garden is running very early this year - water lilies a
month early, lavender out in early June instead of August, ripe berries
on Amelenchier already, first loganberries ripe - and it's 10 years
since they were last ripe in June.

is there a way of stopping it by
picking out the tip, dig it up?

Why? Just be delighted you have an early crop!
Keep picking to prolong the flowering season.

....oh and would it be edible?.

Yes!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 02-07-2003, 01:35 AM
shannie

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I planted some seeds in March one has begun to sprout
the lovely purple stalk(?) from the tip and a few coming at the sides,
according to the seed packet they're not to be harvested until october
onwards....is it running to seed?
Sounds like it

if so is it because I've fed it too much
(nettle manure), watered it too much?
Probably a combination of warm spring and summer and not enough water

giving the plant a bit of stress and inducing the urge to procreate.
Everything in my garden is running very early this year - water lilies a
month early, lavender out in early June instead of August, ripe berries
on Amelenchier already, first loganberries ripe - and it's 10 years
since they were last ripe in June.

I *did* wonder about our blackberries, they're out and seem to be heading
towards ripening already, I thought it was a bit early, normally the kids
are back at school when Im picking them off the ditches, and then I wondered
if I was imagining it, looks like jam making will be starting about six
weeks early this year

is there a way of stopping it by
picking out the tip, dig it up?

Why? Just be delighted you have an early crop!

Oh I am kay I thought I'd have to dig it up and discard it, now Im
thrilled not only can we eat it but we get it a few months earlier :-)

Keep picking to prolong the flowering season.

Will surely, am freezing it as Im picking it until I have a 'batch' big
enough to feed all six of us

Thanks to you and all others who replied, glad I don't have to discard it,
it would be such a shame.

Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: