Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Tim

Default Composting Tea Bags

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:58:49 +0000 (UTC), Pat Gardiner
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrdo64yqwxhha1@localhost...
On 26 Jun 2003 13:46:11 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article oprrdgeij4wxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| | But that was 1999, did they look at the 2001 amendments ? Which

my | untrained eye looks like the 1999 Order has been changed to only
apply to | catering businesses kitchens and farms etc. What the order
says is that any | waste from COMMERCIAL kitchens can't be composted.

So
unless you run a | business from your ktichen you're ok.

No, that is a tightening of the 1999 order.

I read it as shifting the emphasis.

| But I don't see what the problem is because the 1999 order applies

| feeding animals waste, not to making compost. I am hard pushed to

find
any | connection - unless you keep animals on your land, or you let

your
compost | be fed to other animals. The amendment has changed this to
make it clearer | that it applies to commercial waste and/or farm
animals. I'm sort of | discussing this with Nick at the moment.

Read it again. Look at sections 3 and 5, for example. Non-Vegan
kitchen waste is probably an animal product under the order.

Sorry, I can't see what you mean. I think it all hinges on the
definition
of animal by-products:

From the 1999 order:

'Interpretation and scope

Snip for clarity

At the risk of taking this slightly beyond the realms of gardening. There
are a number of problems with the legality of compost heaps that we are
now
encountering.

We grow pretty well everything edible and raise pigs, poultry, sheep and
cattle - all on a very small scale.

The reasonable desire to keep animal scraps away from animals, leads into
some very strange country.

We now have problems keeping a pig and a compost heap. The theory being
that
we might put kitchen waste which might contain scraps which might get to
the
pig. So basically the combination is banned. Pigs or compost heaps, not
both
UNLESS and we are lucky, you have a separate sink away from the kitchen
in
which vegetables are prepared. We are lucky, we do.

I say "pigs" because we are no longer allowed to keep a single sow
(animal
welfare). So that is the end of the cottager's pig. In reality that means
minimum of two sows plus one (spare) and the prospect of up to thirty
plus
piglets per year. We are not commercial, we sell nothing, so this new
legislation is causing very real problems. The combinations of
restrictions
are starting to make our lifestyle impossible.

There is no doubt that quite aside from the silly scare stories in the
newspapers, new rules are now invading territory that was once the
protected
preserve of the amateur.

I can see that being a big problem. Especially as the concepts of keeping a
few animals for yourself and composting are not from a totally different
planet. Maybe the bit in the amanement applies -where they use the
definiteion of livestock, instead of animal. Livestock being any animals
used for farming. Would your situation be regarded as farming or not? I
expect it would, as I expect Sod's Law to apply wherever possible.

Tim.

Tim.