Old 27-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Pumpkins

Rich McCormack said:

I've never been successful with pumpkins, but this year I've got
a vigorous volunteer spreading out over my compost pile...no doubt
a sprouted seed from one of last years rotted jack-o-lanterns tossed
onto the pile. There's two pumpkins growing (looks like one's going
to be a monster) but the rest have yellowed and dropped off at about
one inch diameter. I'm assuming it's a pollination problem, but
might there be some other problem?

No, it could just be that two large pumpkins is all your vine is going to
support. Some varieties yeild only 1-2 fruits per vine, and abort any
fruit beyond that.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)