Old 26-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Rich McCormack

Default Pumpkins

I've never been successful with pumpkins, but this year I've got
a vigorous volunteer spreading out over my compost pile...no doubt
a sprouted seed from one of last years rotted jack-o-lanterns tossed
onto the pile. There's two pumpkins growing (looks like one's going
to be a monster) but the rest have yellowed and dropped off at about
one inch diameter. I'm assuming it's a pollination problem, but
might there be some other problem?

--
"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those
who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Old 27-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Rich McCormack said:

I've never been successful with pumpkins, but this year I've got
a vigorous volunteer spreading out over my compost pile...no doubt
a sprouted seed from one of last years rotted jack-o-lanterns tossed
onto the pile. There's two pumpkins growing (looks like one's going
to be a monster) but the rest have yellowed and dropped off at about
one inch diameter. I'm assuming it's a pollination problem, but
might there be some other problem?

No, it could just be that two large pumpkins is all your vine is going to
support. Some varieties yeild only 1-2 fruits per vine, and abort any
fruit beyond that.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Rich McCormack

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

No, it could just be that two large pumpkins is all your vine is going to
support. Some varieties yeild only 1-2 fruits per vine, and abort any
fruit beyond that.

Dang, if that be the case I'll have to cancel the plan to give each
of the grandkids a pumpkin to carve come Halloween. Guess I'll keep
'em for pie and pumpkin ale. Is there any way to determine whether
they're jack-o-lantern or pie pumpkins?

Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 PM
FarmerDill

Is there any way to determine whether
they're jack-o-lantern or pie pumpkins?

Most, if not all, Jack o Lantern pumpkins are pie pumpkins. Some cultivars are
better than others, but size and shape define those suitable for Jack o
lanterns
Old 28-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Rich McCormack said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

No, it could just be that two large pumpkins is all your vine is going to
support. Some varieties yeild only 1-2 fruits per vine, and abort any
fruit beyond that.

Dang, if that be the case I'll have to cancel the plan to give each
of the grandkids a pumpkin to carve come Halloween. Guess I'll keep
'em for pie and pumpkin ale. Is there any way to determine whether
they're jack-o-lantern or pie pumpkins?

You can cook up jack-o-lantern pumpkins to eat, though they may not
have the best flavor, as they've been selected more for size, shape, and
exterior color.

For the finest pies you really want squashes. A blend of butternut and
buttercup types is perfection, as far as I'm concerned. (Remember,
though, _de gustibus non disputandum_ -- there is no arguing about
taste.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 PM
MacTech

Dang, if that be the case I'll have to cancel the plan to give each
of the grandkids a pumpkin to carve come Halloween. Guess I'll keep
'em for pie and pumpkin ale. Is there any way to determine whether
they're jack-o-lantern or pie pumpkins?

We've grown both. Pie pumpkins are smaller, more round, and are
thicker on the inside (more "meat"). Jack-0-lanters are taller and
more oblong.

I've had that problem, too, with tiny pumpkins falling off. I solved
it by hand-pollinating the female flowers. Ended up with more pumpkins
than I knew what to do with.

Good luck with your pumpkins.

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . .
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 28-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Bill

In article ,
says...
Rich McCormack said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

No, it could just be that two large pumpkins is all your vine is going to
support. Some varieties yeild only 1-2 fruits per vine, and abort any
fruit beyond that.

Dang, if that be the case I'll have to cancel the plan to give each
of the grandkids a pumpkin to carve come Halloween. Guess I'll keep
'em for pie and pumpkin ale. Is there any way to determine whether
they're jack-o-lantern or pie pumpkins?

You can cook up jack-o-lantern pumpkins to eat, though they may not
have the best flavor, as they've been selected more for size, shape, and
exterior color.

For the finest pies you really want squashes. A blend of butternut and
buttercup types is perfection, as far as I'm concerned. (Remember,
though, _de gustibus non disputandum_ -- there is no arguing about
taste.)

Apologies for piggy backing.

To Rich McCormack, for squash for kids that aren't too big for them to
handle try Uchiki Kuri. Besides looking like pumpkins they're tastier
and prolific. See:

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/v...h/hokkaido.htm
http://www.evergreenseeds.com/orsquasjapuc.html
http://seedsforsurvival.com/2949-AA.html
http://www.eagle.ca/~akeenan/squash_pumpkins.html

for details.

To Pat, yup, Butternut squash pies are delish. Same goes for "pumpkin
bread" made with Butternut. The Uchiki Kuri worked well for this also.

Bill

Old 29-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Bill said:

To Pat, yup, Butternut squash pies are delish. Same goes for "pumpkin
bread" made with Butternut. The Uchiki Kuri worked well for this also.

I like to use a blend of butternut and 'Tetsukabuto' which is a Japanese
inter-species cross between a butternut and a buttercup. 'Tetsukabuto'
is a real beauty, very productive, texture and flavor like a buttercup/kuri,
but resistant to borers like a butternut.

I once grew variety of 'processing pumpkin' called 'Buckskin' which was
actually a butternut shaped something like a carving pumpkin. Tan outside,
bright, BRIGHT orange flesh -- never have seen a squash so orange inside
since then.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM