Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
K Barrett

Default Moving outside question

OK, maybe I'm thick, but let me get this straight...

You have some phals that you are growing hydroponically (hydroculture) and
you want to put them IN the water of your new koi pond? Is that right?

If not, why not try it? I think that would look cool. Go get a cheapie throw
away phal at someplace like Home Depot and adjust it to hydroculture. Next
year when it spikes you're ready to place it in the koi pond, taking the
same care as with other water plants that the koi do not nibble the phal's
roots. If it dies, no great loss 'cause its a Home Depot plant and it
probably would have died anyway. You'd have to provide appropriate shade,
but heck, water and fertilizer'd be provided by the fish....

As to the bugs, how about some carnivorous plants to line the pond too? Some
of those trumpets looking ones. Or is that too bog-like rather than
pond-like?

(Ack, maybe I'd better drink more coffee and wake up!. LOL!)

K Barrett

"William" wrote in message
I have 6 Phals and Paph. I have had them inside for a few years under a
wonderlite and they have always done beautifully. I use hydroculture on

all
of them. I recently built a Koi pond outside and I live in NJ. The

sunlight
is sunny shade and would be perfect for them around the rocks of the pond.
My question is if I move them outside would I have a real problem with

bugs,
mites, and all those creepy crawlers getting into the plants? And what

types
of measures should I take before moving them outside? They would all be so
beautiful outside and I think they would love the humidity by the pond
especially now in Jersey since it's been so hot and humid recently.

Another
question is with the hydro am I going to have to run outside all the time
when it rains to bring them in because it will ruin the concentration of

the
nutrient solution? I know it's a few questions in a post but I really

didn't
feel like posting a few times )

Thanks,
Bill in N.J.