Old 27-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Weird Soil

"bnd777" wrote in
:

Well you must have an underground stream under yours then because if
you dug for miles anywhere near my neighbours leylandi hedge you would
find not a worm or moisture in sight

and despite tons of compost i have not been able to change the
difficult growing conditions my side

But as you've told us, that hedge is a large one. It is possible to keep
such hedges small.

I also have a leylandii hedge, and it has primroses, honesty and violets
doing well close to the base. There is definitely no stream underneath, as
it's on a raised terrace.

The hedge is about 5 feet tall (and do not fret, it is planned for removal
this year, as both I and my neighbours prefer beech.)

Our neighbours' garden is rather blighted by leylandii, but not my little
hedge: they are growing as 'feature trees' in the garden on the other side.
Odd choice of 'feature' to my mind. Hedge legislation will not help them,
unfortunately.

Victoria