Old 27-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Ken Saunders

Default lawn clipping as mulch question?

(Gary The Rookie Farmer) wrote in message m...
Only do this if you know there are no weed killers spread on the grass
or it might kill your veggies.

John..I have a little grass cutting business, and at the end of the
working day haVe about a dozen sacks of clippings.These are spread out
on my allotment (250 sq m.) They eventually rot in, but the beauty is
that they give weed control.No hoeing, or very little.Also ,I had this
year some of the ground undug.Like concrete,yet it is growing potatoes
like normal,broad beans like normal,runner beans like normal.All
pre-chitted or pre-grown in modules and then banged into the
ground.The crops are obviously drawing nutrients and water from the
grass cuttings,which by now are quite thick.As Gary says, no
weedkiller clippings which are composted separately.I shall know more
at the end of the season ,but it's beginning to look like no more
digging.Comments welcome....Regards Ken