Old 25-06-2003, 10:32 PM
JohnDKestell

Default lawn clipping as mulch question?

Hi guys,
I recently started cutting the elderly couple's lawn next door (it was way too
overgrown this time) and ended up with several enormous sacks of clippings,
mainly grass but some small branches and leaves (but good deal, no
garbage--straight organic stuff)

the question is, how do I use it on the garden? I'm sure there are weed seeds
in there, but i could really use something to keep the soil from drying out
these days, and also something to help build up the soil for next year.

right now, I just have the clippings in black lawn trash bags in the back yard,
where they get REALLY hot during the day. they are only like 3 days old, and
already starting to sort of fermented and starting to smell bad. I want to do
something with them before they turn into a slimy mess on me.

should I just spread them out on the driveway (in the sun too) to dry them out,
then spread them? I would like to compost it, but don't have that going this
year either.

thanks,
john
Old 25-06-2003, 10:56 PM
H Hornblower

Just put it around the plants like any mulch straight out of
the lawnmower collection bag. I've been doing it more than thirty
years.
Old 26-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Gary The Rookie Farmer

Only do this if you know there are no weed killers spread on the grass
or it might kill your veggies.