Old 28-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Monique Reed

Default Blackwalnut Tree and an Asparugus Bed

Have a look at this site:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-021/430-021.html It suggests
that juglone can be released from decomposing roots, so you may want
to go after the root as best you can.

M. Reed

ecologicals wrote:

"Nartker" wrote in message
After visity my distant asparugus beds for the 1st time in a year, I

noticed
that an evil squirrel had planted a Black Walnaut tree in the midst of the

bed.

Its tap root is very deep, is it better to dig it out, and risk damage of

the
crowns, or hit it with brush begone and kill it systemically?

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

The roots of the black walnut emit a natural herbicide (inaccurate but same

effect) that will kill off anything else. Sparagus are a long-term
investment, so the choice is simple: remove it asap.
Personally, I would dig it out and avoid using any pesticides where the
asparagus grow. A couple of shovels of manure where you disturbed any crowns
and they will forgive you!
just my opinion, of course

John in Canaduh