Old 28-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Shiva

Default Problems in the garden

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:24:09 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

I've never had much success with Orthonex when it comes to JB. They
seem immune to it.

I re-read the label, and it sure doesn't mention being effective
againsts them, so maybe you're right. However, it doesn't mention
white fly either, and it definitely must control them as I never see
them unless I miss some spray cycles. Still--however I manage it, I
have very few JBs. The ones I see ont hre ground are twitchy, the ones
I see on the plant , I slap from the rose then stomp. Feels great!

I had read that Neem acted as a repellent. I can state categorically
that it doesn't work, at least while infestation is occuring.

Which would be when you need it. So I wonder what the point is in
applying it?

Guess I'll go back to Orthonex. I had been spraying pretty faithfully
in March and April. May was more difficult, but I got at least a
couple of good sprayings in.

It's not perfect, and the warnings on the label are scary, but I can
tell you that mine look a bunch better when I spray with it than when
I don't. I am making time this Sunday to look at the roses closely,
and I know I will see increased canker and dieback--it always
accompanies rampant blackspot and mildew. Or, actually, follows it.

Yeah, that brusing really worries me

I read the comments others made today, and I have to say that I have
this on my roses too, and have never used Banner Max. I absolutely
cannot see suspecting an anti-fungal as the cause of something like
this. Burn? Sure. But creating dieback and a deadly kind of canker
that has to be fungus related? No way. Makes no sense.

(I'm less concerned about the
yellowing leaves on Felicia - leaves can be replaced).

To a point. However, bear in mind that being defoliated to any
significant degree weakens the plant. I cannot recall where I read
about this, but I can never forget watching it happen. The cavalier,
"oh well, they'll make new leaves!" is partly true. Sure, they will
but you will notice that the plant is smaller, lacks vigor and blooms,
and winds up with more canker and dieback. Maybe all the energy it has
to put into replacing leaves that did not live out their normal,
undiseased lives just debilitates the rose. I don't know, but I can
predict with confidence that I will lose several roses due to my
inability to protect them from fungus during all this rain.