Old 28-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Timothy

Default gardens near pools

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:00:52 +0000, Mpb58 wrote:

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I
have lost a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac
bush. could the fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

It's quite possible to damage or kill plants with chlorine. I could be a
bit difficult to figure out if it's the chlorine, damage during
construction of issues to due with the fresh concrete. It could be a
combonation of all three.

How did the trees look just before they died? Chemical damage is usually
uniform in it's appearence.
Could the construction of the pool damaged the root systems? Was there
heavy equiptment with in 3 feet of the trees?
How close is the new concrete from these dead trees? Is it with in 3 feet
of the dead trees?
Do you get water run off from the neighbors pool to where these dead trees
were? Can you smell chlorine from where the dead trees were or any where
else on your proprerty?

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington