Old 28-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Mpb58

Default gardens near pools

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?
Old 28-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Alexander Pensky

Mpb58 wrote:

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

I wonder what they do with the chlorine-laced debris from when they skim
the pool? Could they be surreptitiously dumping it onto your property,
theorizing that it's just "the booshes" and no one will object?

- Alex

Old 28-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Timothy

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:00:52 +0000, Mpb58 wrote:

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I
have lost a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac
bush. could the fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

It's quite possible to damage or kill plants with chlorine. I could be a
bit difficult to figure out if it's the chlorine, damage during
construction of issues to due with the fresh concrete. It could be a
combonation of all three.

How did the trees look just before they died? Chemical damage is usually
uniform in it's appearence.
Could the construction of the pool damaged the root systems? Was there
heavy equiptment with in 3 feet of the trees?
How close is the new concrete from these dead trees? Is it with in 3 feet
of the dead trees?
Do you get water run off from the neighbors pool to where these dead trees
were? Can you smell chlorine from where the dead trees were or any where
else on your proprerty?

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 AM
animaux

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:20:56 -0400, Alexander Pensky
wrote:

Mpb58 wrote:

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

I wonder what they do with the chlorine-laced debris from when they skim
the pool? Could they be surreptitiously dumping it onto your property,
theorizing that it's just "the booshes" and no one will object?

- Alex

When I run out of rainwater I use the hose. There is more chlorine in the city
water than in our pool! We keep the pool at 3 ppm and our tap water is 5ppm
(parts per million). We splash all the time and nothing is damaged by the pool
water.

Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 AM
John DeBoo

Mpb58 wrote:
my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

I doubt the fumes would cause this and I doubt the water would
either, at least from my personal experience. We had a pool (18x36
in-ground) for 20 years in a small backyard where what available
dirt surrounding the pool was used as a garden. We had all manner
of flowers/plants/shrubs growing there and I never once noted dead
plants or lack of plant growth. With 2 boys it got lots of use and
plenty of water was splashed out soaking the plants etc. I was
surprised as I expected that the clorine would do them in, not the
case for me though. Ahhh yes, and now the pool is a beautiful
flowerbed of roses and other flowers with landscaping - 186 yards of
dirt to fill that sucker up!

Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 AM
John DeBoo

Mpb58 wrote:
my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

Reading your post a 2nd time, whats the possibility that the roots
of your trees were cut when the pool hole was dig and thats caused
them to die? Now if they were Chinese Elms like my *&^%$#@
neighbors have, the stinking things would still thrive. Nothing
kills those trees.

Old 28-06-2003, 05:44 PM
pelirojaroja

Yes - root damage is a highly likely culprit. Also, if their excavation
changed the slope of the land (which also tends to happen with pool
installation), then the plants may no longer be getting their accustomed
amount of runoff from rain or other watering. So, you might have to
re-plant for a drier or wetter climate in the affected area. Perhaps you
could let the land settle for a season, and do a soil check for planting
next year.

-- pelirojaroja

"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
(Mpb58) wrote:

my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have

lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could

the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

No. If the chlorine fumes were strong enough to kill plants, the
neighbor would be dead too.

But root damage from the excavation can kill plants.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both