Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 AM
John DeBoo

Default gardens near pools

Mpb58 wrote:
my neighbor installed an inground pool close to my back property. I have lost
a flowering plum, and an evergreen so far, and now a lilac bush. could the
fumes from their chlorine be doing this?

I doubt the fumes would cause this and I doubt the water would
either, at least from my personal experience. We had a pool (18x36
in-ground) for 20 years in a small backyard where what available
dirt surrounding the pool was used as a garden. We had all manner
of flowers/plants/shrubs growing there and I never once noted dead
plants or lack of plant growth. With 2 boys it got lots of use and
plenty of water was splashed out soaking the plants etc. I was
surprised as I expected that the clorine would do them in, not the
case for me though. Ahhh yes, and now the pool is a beautiful
flowerbed of roses and other flowers with landscaping - 186 yards of
dirt to fill that sucker up!