Old 28-06-2003, 06:56 PM
W. Curtiss Priest

Default help! for yew trees with yellowing needles in New England

Hello,

We have 3 yew trees, and we are just north of Boston, MA.

They did fine until 2 years ago.

The one, with the greatest south-east exposure, about
14 feet high, had almost all needles turn yellow two
springs ago.

One local expert said that there was a condition of
winter drying/drought, and we had very little snow 2 years
ago.

But, even the trees on the north-west side have whole
sections of branches that have yellowed, yet, there is
green new growth, also.

***

Is there anything to be done? I've put down lime as soils
here get acidic, but this may just be too late to help.
One arborist said to dig trenches out from the trees and
put down maneure. I asked about fertilizer "sticks" and
she advised against. We watered the sadest one, but, even
with almost a full June of rain, it is no better.

The first tree, I pruned back almost to a "stub." It
is now half the height, and I've trimmed ever branch,
and what is left looks quite sad.

Anyone?

Help!

Regards,

Curtiss
--

W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT