Old 28-06-2003, 06:56 PM
W. Curtiss Priest

Default help! for yew trees with yellowing needles in New England

Hello,

We have 3 yew trees, and we are just north of Boston, MA.

They did fine until 2 years ago.

The one, with the greatest south-east exposure, about
14 feet high, had almost all needles turn yellow two
springs ago.

One local expert said that there was a condition of
winter drying/drought, and we had very little snow 2 years
ago.

But, even the trees on the north-west side have whole
sections of branches that have yellowed, yet, there is
green new growth, also.

***

Is there anything to be done? I've put down lime as soils
here get acidic, but this may just be too late to help.
One arborist said to dig trenches out from the trees and
put down maneure. I asked about fertilizer "sticks" and
she advised against. We watered the sadest one, but, even
with almost a full June of rain, it is no better.

The first tree, I pruned back almost to a "stub." It
is now half the height, and I've trimmed ever branch,
and what is left looks quite sad.

Anyone?

Help!

Regards,

Curtiss
--

W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
Research Affiliate, Comparative Media Studies, MIT
Old 28-06-2003, 09:44 PM
andrewpreece

"W. Curtiss Priest" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know that this is your problem, but AFAIK Yews don't like "getting
their feet wet". They need good drainage. If that were the problem, you
would be compounding it by watering , but I presume you are certain that
they are in dry soil?

Andy

Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
W. Curtiss Priest

"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
"W. Curtiss Priest" wrote in message
Hello,

We have 3 yew trees, and we are just north of Boston, MA.

They did fine until 2 years ago.

Don't know that this is your problem, but AFAIK Yews don't like "getting
their feet wet". They need good drainage. If that were the problem, you
would be compounding it by watering , but I presume you are certain that
they are in dry soil?

Andy

Uum. OK. Yes, the soil is mostly dry. This area varies. But,
our basement, for example, hardly ever shows even a bit of wetness
during heavy rains and/or high water table.

But, we won't water based on what you say.

Thanks,

Curtiss
Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
W. Curtiss Priest wrote:
"andrewpreece" wrote in message ...
"W. Curtiss Priest" wrote in message

We have 3 yew trees, and we are just north of Boston, MA.

They did fine until 2 years ago.

Don't know that this is your problem, but AFAIK Yews don't like "getting
their feet wet". They need good drainage. If that were the problem, you
would be compounding it by watering , but I presume you are certain that
they are in dry soil?

Uum. OK. Yes, the soil is mostly dry. This area varies. But,
our basement, for example, hardly ever shows even a bit of wetness
during heavy rains and/or high water table.

But, we won't water based on what you say.

They are certainly dry-soil trees in the UK, but remember that we are
a lot wetter than you are. You mentioned the problem of a very dry
winter (under frozen soil assumed) - this just doesn't happen in the
UK, where our winter problem is typically waterlogging.

They could well have had their roots damaged by that, but I would
have expected recovery in 2 years. As they regrow well from old wood,
and are very pest and disease resistant, don't write them off until
they are dead. The ones that show new growth will almost certainly
be fine, but may lose some of the yellowed growth.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.