Old 28-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Alternate Personality

Default Electric Fences (was: Deer ate my tomatoes)

Maybe fence chargers are safer now than they used to be, but I used one in
the early 80s (bought at Sears) when I was renting a house with a 4-foot
fence that my two large dogs could easily get out of. #1 problem: It packed
a heck of a wallop. Yes, the dogs learned to stay away from the fence, but
the learning process was terrible. I touched it a couple of times myself and
immediately understood why. #2 problem: It killed a squirrel, no doubt in a
pretty awful way. I came home from school one day (was going to UT) and
there it was, stuck in the wire and totally fried. Anyway, unless it was for
some reason a matter of dire necessity, I would never use a fence charger
again. I think they are both dangerous and cruel. My $0.02.

alternate

B.Server wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:19:28 GMT, "Roger\"X\""
wrote:

[...]

The one thing I have found that works is an electric fence. Hey!!I'm
not talking something that will hurt a child, or one of your pets.
You can buy a fence charger that is used to keep your pet in your
yard. You only need one wire. . .it should be set just a little
higher than your largest pet, but where the deer will get against it,
while trying to get into your garden.

[...]

Have a good day. .Roger

Both the pets and the kids will learn about an electric fence. Some
of them are nearly as educatable as the deer. Unfortunately, there
are a lot of cities run by folks who figure either that kids (their's
probably) are too dumb to avoid a second zap or that it will warp
their little psyche and turn them all into republicans or something.
Bottom line is that it is a risky bet inside most city limits. (only
slightly less objectionable than my original suggestion; -venison)