Old 28-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Luke Tulkas

Default [IBC] Cuttings (was: [IBC] Air Layering Liquidambar Styraciflua)

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Taxodium root readily from match-size cuttings through 1/2 inch.
I always use root hormone, through. I don't put them under
glass. Just dip in the hormone powder, punch a hole in the soil,
and stick the cutting in, tamp it down, and ignore it.

When do you usually take cuttings? When the tree is bare of leaves or
when it has them? I have tried in early spring, without the leaves, the
buds half opened and then dried. If I took them in late spring with the
leaves on, the leaves quickly wilted and dropped off. No roots. Must try
it with the hormone next time.