Old 28-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Diane Mancino

Default keikis on keikis on keikis

I ended up potting most of the keikis in bark ( and pebbles to hold it in
place) and 1 mounted on a chunk of coconut husk I had around. I mounted 2
on the bark in case of failure- I've been away and on examination one had a
white coating that I assumed was a mold and sprayed it with physon-2 before
remounting. But if its like an onion, I bet that keiki dies.

Mama plant is on the patio since I read that the sunlight and the
temperature dips are good for it. It is reaching in 1 direction so I turned
the weak side to the sun to maybe get it to even out- don't know if it
matters. I will say that out of bloom, it still is presentable in a nice
pot.

Putting the orchids outside took a little guts on my part. I strung a chain
from the eaves that the pots are hooked into. So if a bug is going to get
into the plant, it will have to fly!

Diane

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the compliment. I lined the basket with some spaghnum to hold

in
the mix. Then I used a mix of med bark, sponge rock, and cocoanut dust
(coir) about 3:2:1.
I think what Peter was referring to (above) was mixing the different

colors
of Den kingianum together in one basket. There are different shades of
purple, lav, white. A specimen basket of that would look great but might

be
a challenge to maintain as some varieties are always stronger than others.

might try it though. Sounds like fun.
Gary

"Wendy" wrote in message
What a beautiful specimen plant Gary, wondering what medium you used in

the
basket. Cheers Wendy
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
I remove those I don't want for aesthetic reasons and leave some

others.
If
you go to my homepage at http://gwills.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

,
available plants, then Den kingianum you'll see my basket which I

think
is
nice (even better now that I've removed more of the keikis and old

foliage).
Gary

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
I won another old orchid this month. A Den kingianum Ruth, very

bushy,
out
of bloom but kiekies everywhere some on other kiekies with roots on

them.
Should those Kiekies stay on, or should I remove.

--
Diane