Old 22-06-2003, 11:56 PM
WNeptune

Default keikis on keikis on keikis

Subject: keikis on keikis on keikis
From: "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
Date: Sun, Jun 22, 2003 1:34 PM
Hi,
How about putting different dendrobium Kingianums (different colours)
together.
I did it this year with a Den. kingianum (botanical) together with a Den.
kingianum var album.
5 keikis in one pot and all with flowers at the same time. It realy looked
good. Sorry I didn't have a camara at the time, still don't. So no pic's
Peter

This is a frequently asked question, however, the problem with putting more
than one plant/pot is that it is no longer eligible for judging-neither ribbon
judging for shows, nor AOS judging for any of the awards. This may not seem too
important, but if one is going to grow a plant on for any size or appearance it
becomes of importance down the road when one just might wish to enter it into
an exhibit.
I just have to comment on the term Den kingianum var "alba". Alba clones in
kingianum are just as uncommon as alba clones in other species, and are
actually quite rare. Most so called albas when selfed produce 85% colored
forms. I do not like to see the term alba used unless the plant has been proven
to be an alba by selfing, and instead referred to as a white form. This becomes
of importance to anyone wishing to do any hybridizing if an "alba" is truly
needed in the cross.
Also, the problem of mounting kingianums: No question but that mounted plants
are frequently attractive; however, if one wishes to grow the plant to its best
advantage, then kingianums should not be mounted. In Australia this has been
demonstrated by many. I formerly kept one mounted for several years to
demonstrate this both in growth and flowering. The mounted plant never measured
up to the potted plant, even when using the same clone.
Old 23-06-2003, 12:32 AM
V_coerulea

I remove those I don't want for aesthetic reasons and leave some others. If
you go to my homepage at http://gwills.members.atlantic.net/Index.html ,
available plants, then Den kingianum you'll see my basket which I think is
nice (even better now that I've removed more of the keikis and old foliage).
Gary

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
I won another old orchid this month. A Den kingianum Ruth, very bushy, out
of bloom but kiekies everywhere some on other kiekies with roots on them.
Should those Kiekies stay on, or should I remove.

--
Diane

Old 23-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Wendy

What a beautiful specimen plant Gary, wondering what medium you used in the
basket. Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 23-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I just have to comment on the term Den kingianum var "alba". Alba clones
in
kingianum are just as uncommon as alba clones in other species, and are
actually quite rare. Most so called albas when selfed produce 85% colored
forms. I do not like to see the term alba used unless the plant has been

proven
to be an alba by selfing, and instead referred to as a white form. This

becomes
of importance to anyone wishing to do any hybridizing if an "alba" is

truly
needed in the cross.

Hallo,
I bought the Den. Kingianum (var. alba) from Akerne Orchids and they are
sure about the name. They sell plants that they grow from their own seed.
Sometimes they do import plants, but I have seen their private collection
and it is huge.

Peter

Old 23-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Wendy

WNeptune, I find your comment very intriguing but not sure I understand it
fully?
If one has a white form of an orchid flower, cloned to itself, only then
should it be
termed as "alba"?
Cheers Wendy (confused?)

Old 23-06-2003, 08:44 PM
V_coerulea

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the compliment. I lined the basket with some spaghnum to hold in
the mix. Then I used a mix of med bark, sponge rock, and cocoanut dust
(coir) about 3:2:1.
I think what Peter was referring to (above) was mixing the different colors
of Den kingianum together in one basket. There are different shades of
purple, lav, white. A specimen basket of that would look great but might be
a challenge to maintain as some varieties are always stronger than others. I
might try it though. Sounds like fun.
Gary

"Wendy" wrote in message
What a beautiful specimen plant Gary, wondering what medium you used in

the
basket. Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 23-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave Lockwood

I mounted an oncidium on a weathered old piece of Redwood 2x6, 12 inches
long. It was mostly sapwood and had been part of a 20+ year old deck I took
out. I did it on a lark. Doesn't look bad. Plant is growing nicely. Sure
does need to be watered often thought!

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
I was wondering about that Gene. I didn't have any seedlings that I wanted
to risk, but since I have to secure the keikis with its short roots,

sounds
like a winner. Don't have something to mount on but a ton of fire wood

in
the yard. ( I can order online of course. Has anyone ever mounted orchids

on
bark?, a wood slab? I can cut a slab that would be mostly bark. mount more
than one to a slab?

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Dianne,

Since you have many keikis you should try mounting a couple. I've

started
mounting plants on cork and really like that look. It makes a great

show.

Good growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
Sue, Like I said, I Won!. When a member read what I had just got, he

said
the donor didn't know what was given up, but I know she has many

plants,
and
she probably has more. She gave up a huge cattlea that didn't have a

tag.
This isn't'the first awarded win. We have some good growers here and

its
small club. Anyone in the Vt/Nh area, I'd love to invite them to a

meeting.

Still take the keikis off? I think I'll just take a few. To save space

I'll
use one of those cell packs that garden annuals come in for the keikis

and
put them on the growing shelf

Diane

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:35:20 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

They are as wide as a pencil.
I still want to see the blooms on this which was said to" bloom all

the
time"

Tag says 1999 for potting, so you can guess the size of this plant.

How
long
before a keiki gets to blooming size?

Diane

Den kingianum 'Ruth' AM/AOS
A beautifully grown plant completely encircled with over 300
flowers, thirty-five spikes; dominantly deep-purple at ends of
tepals, lightening in tone towards center; lip a deep uniform
purple.
Exhibitor was Louis A. Jaskow, Jr., Rye, N.Y
Judged in Regional Supplementary Judging at NY, NY
3/20/1974

So you have an awarded plant. With quite a potential and
history. A full grown keiki will be about the size of a pencil.
Aren't the center mother plant canes about that size. So they
can bloom and rebloom again and again. This is one line I have
seen bloom very happily on old canes. Right up until they dry up
and start to fall apart.

Good work on the raffle table. I will let you collect my tickets
for me. I don't win like that. Usually the ticket before or
after mine is the one drawn.

SuE

Old 28-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Diane Mancino

I ended up potting most of the keikis in bark ( and pebbles to hold it in
place) and 1 mounted on a chunk of coconut husk I had around. I mounted 2
on the bark in case of failure- I've been away and on examination one had a
white coating that I assumed was a mold and sprayed it with physon-2 before
remounting. But if its like an onion, I bet that keiki dies.

Mama plant is on the patio since I read that the sunlight and the
temperature dips are good for it. It is reaching in 1 direction so I turned
the weak side to the sun to maybe get it to even out- don't know if it
matters. I will say that out of bloom, it still is presentable in a nice
pot.

Putting the orchids outside took a little guts on my part. I strung a chain
from the eaves that the pots are hooked into. So if a bug is going to get
into the plant, it will have to fly!

Diane

"Wendy" wrote in message
What a beautiful specimen plant Gary, wondering what medium you used in

the
basket. Cheers Wendy
.. .

,

speaking of keikis tbell Orchids 10 11-10-2003 02:02 AM
When will phal keikis develop roots? Ted Byers Orchids 1 20-06-2003 10:08 PM
nobile type dends and keikis Ted Byers Orchids 2 17-04-2003 01:08 AM
keikis Ted Byers Orchids 5 09-04-2003 03:56 PM
Epidendrum keikis Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 7 28-01-2003 12:46 AM