Old 29-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default my gertrude and jekyll has yellow leaves

In aHiLa.41790$R73.6254@sccrnsc04 seepnezorf1 wrote:
The rose gets fed with one of those weed and feed combo mixes and has
not recently been pruned. Could the yellowing just be attributed to
an overabundance of water and should I just start cutting off all the
canes with the yellowing leaves?

Firstly, it does sound like a typical overwatering scenario. Careful,
I've lost several bushes that way in the recent rains.

My suggestions:

(1) Don't water for quite a while!

(2) Leave the canes where they are. If you're lucky the rose will re-
shoot new growth, but it's hard to predict where on the bush that will
happen. Don't limit it by pruning until after regrowth has occurred -
then trim off the dead branches.

(3) Carefully aerate the soil around the bush with a small garden fork
to let oxygen in and promote some evaporation.

(4) Weed and feed combo? I don't like the sound of that. Not for roses.
Save that stuff for lawns.

(5) If you can find some 'plant starter' or rooting hormone to add to
the soil near the trunk of the rose, try that. I have saved a couple of
bushes that way. Also, once the soil has dried, try a small feed of
seaweed emulsion which also promotes root growth.

Hope this helps.