Old 29-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default question about coffee grounds

JohnDKestell said:

Hi guys,
my neighbor just got me a couple of sacks of coffee grounds from Starbuck's.

it seems they are using it as some kind of promo, and giving it away for free
with the purpose of using it on the garden. The mylar sack claims a pH of 6.8
(all the acids burning holes throught the stomach linings of Yuppies?)

is it safe to add it to the garden? how should I do it?

Scatter them lightly on the surface, mix them with shredded leaves for mulch,
dig them into a new planting bed, or compost them. The one thing I wouldn't
do with them would be to lay on pure coffee grounds mulch-thick (they tend
to crust, mold, and smell).

pH of 6.8 is only very slightly acid (7 being neutral).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)