Old 28-06-2003, 02:44 PM
JohnDKestell

Default question about coffee grounds

Hi guys,
my neighbor just got me a couple of sacks of coffee grounds from Starbuck's.

it seems they are using it as some kind of promo, and giving it away for free
with the purpose of using it on the garden. The mylar sack claims a pH of 6.8
(all the acids burning holes throught the stomach linings of Yuppies?)

is it safe to add it to the garden? how should I do it?

thanks,
john
Old 29-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Joanne

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:59:33 -0000, "Thomas "
wrote:

(JohnDKestell) wrote:
Hi guys,
my neighbor just got me a couple of sacks of coffee grounds from Starbuck's.

it seems they are using it as some kind of promo, and giving it away for

free
with the purpose of using it on the garden. The mylar sack claims a pH

of 6.8
(all the acids burning holes throught the stomach linings of Yuppies?)

is it safe to add it to the garden? how should I do it?

thanks,
john

Coffee grounds are great for the garden, and also great for house plants.
My wife dumps out each days grounds on a large aloe vera plant, and the
soil is incredible. Just dump them out and spread them around...they won't
hurt a thing and are quite beneficial.

Used tea leaves also work.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, not sure of U.S. zone.
Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!
Old 29-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

JohnDKestell said:

Hi guys,
my neighbor just got me a couple of sacks of coffee grounds from Starbuck's.

it seems they are using it as some kind of promo, and giving it away for free
with the purpose of using it on the garden. The mylar sack claims a pH of 6.8
(all the acids burning holes throught the stomach linings of Yuppies?)

is it safe to add it to the garden? how should I do it?

Scatter them lightly on the surface, mix them with shredded leaves for mulch,
dig them into a new planting bed, or compost them. The one thing I wouldn't
do with them would be to lay on pure coffee grounds mulch-thick (they tend
to crust, mold, and smell).

pH of 6.8 is only very slightly acid (7 being neutral).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-06-2003, 01:08 PM
JohnDKestell

thanks guys,
i tried to lightly sprinkle them on top of mulch, so the rains would sort of
leatch out the goods.

another point, don't broadcast them over your wifes flower garden. it gets
caugtht in the flowers, and make little specked stains!

thanks,
john

Coffee Grounds Question buckwheat Gardening 5 05-12-2015 11:10 PM
coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM