Old 29-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Pumpkins

Bill said:

To Pat, yup, Butternut squash pies are delish. Same goes for "pumpkin
bread" made with Butternut. The Uchiki Kuri worked well for this also.

I like to use a blend of butternut and 'Tetsukabuto' which is a Japanese
inter-species cross between a butternut and a buttercup. 'Tetsukabuto'
is a real beauty, very productive, texture and flavor like a buttercup/kuri,
but resistant to borers like a butternut.

I once grew variety of 'processing pumpkin' called 'Buckskin' which was
actually a butternut shaped something like a carving pumpkin. Tan outside,
bright, BRIGHT orange flesh -- never have seen a squash so orange inside
since then.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)