Old 29-06-2003, 03:32 PM
JohnDKestell

Default What to do with a skunk in a live trap?

The "other gas" (since it is sunday morning) is maybe a propane bottle and
torch. Just turn it on (but don't light it) and gas the guy (turn it on full
blast, then put the nozzle under the blanket. It won't take too long. you
might check once in a while, but it would certainly be unconcious in minutes
without oxygen.

If you plan to shoot it (and I have seen a lot of traps destroyed this way, so
be careful, or ready for some metal work), you need to pop it in the head,
right at the base of the skull and they don't spray (an old SWAT team sniper
method--the old Mebdula Oblongat--the brain stem)--or the ear opening from the
side, with a .22 if you have one. if not, forget that plan.

Also, if you have a dog, keep it inside, or else you'll have a really stinky
nasty dog. it will freak if it sees the skunk.

still, i'm for "taking care of it". They have there place in nature, but when
they are eating dogfood on my front porch, I have my place in civilization.

just a thought, but I think the propane idea would work (the dry ice idea is
good, but on sunday morning, where do you line that up?).

lacking even that, carbon MONOXIDE that kills by tying up hemoglobin (and
irreversibly removing oxygen) could be an option too, your lawn mower pumps out
tons of it. maybe a hose and some rags to seal up the exhaust, and pipe it in
there?

sorry to be so grim, but too many dogs having been skunked and sporting pink
tomatoe juice colored fur sort of annoys me about them.

good luck, and store up the tomatoe juice.
john