Old 29-06-2003, 02:56 AM
H Hornblower

Default What to do with a skunk in a live trap?

I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.
Any ideas?
Old 29-06-2003, 04:08 AM
SpiceScoot

I used to tie a rope to the trap so that I could drag the skunk trap and all
into a pond. Never found one of the little SOB's that could tread water whilst
holding up a corner of that steel havahart (when it comes to skunks I don't)
LRK
Old 29-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

H Hornblower said:

I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.
Any ideas?

Walk up to the trap holding a tarp or blanket in front of you. Slowly lay the
tarp over the trap. The tarp-draped trap can be picked up and moved (gently)
to a shady spot while you make a decision.

Are you going to release the skunk, or 'dispose' of it?

You can release it back onto your own property by carefully opening the
still covered trap and letting the skunk find its way out. Moving skunks for
release is not a good idea (illegal in many areas) as they can carry rabies.
However, if you have a pickup truck and a not-too-bumpy route, you could
transport before release. (Keep the tarp on the trap while transporting.)

You can 'dispose' of it either by paying a professional to take it away or
kill it yourself. The least smelly way to do this is to gas it. (Now, I haven't
done this myself, only read about it.) Cover over the trap with airtight
plastic, sealing the edges with soil. Pump in carbon dioxide gas. (Or,
lay a cake of dry ice on the trap before sealing it in plastic.) You can shoot
the animal by transporting it somewhere that shooting would be allowed.
Let the skunk out of the trap and wait until it is a good bit away before
shooting it. The skunk will definitely let out a blast as a parting gift. (The worst
skunk-stench incident in my neighborhood involved someone killing a skunk.)

I paid to have a skunk taken away (in a trap which I could not easily rig to
allow the skunk to leave on its own) and released another back onto my
property (different trap, which could be opened easily). I was rigged for
rabbits and am not sure why the skunks entered the traps. It seems likely
they just blundered into them.

Skunks are lovely creatures in their own way, and more beneficial than
harmful.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-06-2003, 03:32 PM
JohnDKestell

The "other gas" (since it is sunday morning) is maybe a propane bottle and
torch. Just turn it on (but don't light it) and gas the guy (turn it on full
blast, then put the nozzle under the blanket. It won't take too long. you
might check once in a while, but it would certainly be unconcious in minutes
without oxygen.

If you plan to shoot it (and I have seen a lot of traps destroyed this way, so
be careful, or ready for some metal work), you need to pop it in the head,
right at the base of the skull and they don't spray (an old SWAT team sniper
method--the old Mebdula Oblongat--the brain stem)--or the ear opening from the
side, with a .22 if you have one. if not, forget that plan.

Also, if you have a dog, keep it inside, or else you'll have a really stinky
nasty dog. it will freak if it sees the skunk.

still, i'm for "taking care of it". They have there place in nature, but when
they are eating dogfood on my front porch, I have my place in civilization.

just a thought, but I think the propane idea would work (the dry ice idea is
good, but on sunday morning, where do you line that up?).

lacking even that, carbon MONOXIDE that kills by tying up hemoglobin (and
irreversibly removing oxygen) could be an option too, your lawn mower pumps out
tons of it. maybe a hose and some rags to seal up the exhaust, and pipe it in
there?

sorry to be so grim, but too many dogs having been skunked and sporting pink
tomatoe juice colored fur sort of annoys me about them.

good luck, and store up the tomatoe juice.
john

Old 30-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jack1000

I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.
Any ideas?

If you could cover it with a tarp, tape it up real good then Fed Ex it to Mayor
M. Bloomberg in New York I would really be obliged to you.

Thanking you in advance
Jack

Moles - to trap or not to trap clarissa United Kingdom 20 01-10-2007 08:26 AM
Skunk in trap Srgnt Billko Lawns 1 03-09-2006 08:58 PM
OT - Anyone know where I can rent / borrow a live trap? Dewitt Texas 2 09-08-2005 06:18 PM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
What to do with a skunk in a live trap? H Hornblower Gardening 27 20-07-2003 04:42 PM