Old 29-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam Rudd

Default Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?)

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:15:54 -0800,
(Jan Flora) scribbled:

The older potato leaf varieties probably don't have the disease resistance
that the new hybrids do.

Hogwash!

The fancy shmancy hybrids are the first to succumb to the
biological weapons of The spit!Thrips of Mass Destruction.
It's the pink Branywines that are the most resistant to Tomato
Spotted Wilt virus (the spit! TMD's disease of choice). I tried
a couple of Manalucie plants this year, too, and they're going
strong.

I really wonder sometimes, exactly where do people think
the resistance that is bred into hybrids came from?

Pam

--
Tuba players are like the bikers of the band.
-Dr. Mark Chachich