Old 29-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Tomatoes - removing lower leaf stems

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:46:10 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

I believe it depends on the variety. Post and someone can tell you what to
do with yours. Where this is required, I believe that you look for the main
stem, the main branches and then additional stems growing in the "angle"
between the stem and branch - it is these additional stems that are picked
off.

Of course I may be doing it all wrong, in which case someone please "yell"
before I decimate my tomatoes!

I'm yelling Paul! What you are refering to are the side shoots, which if
you are growinhg your tomatoe as a cordon, should be removed religously.
what the original poster was refrring to was removing some of the plants
lower main shoots to help the lower fruit get more light and ripen better.
Personaly, I've nevr tried that, but this is only Yr2 of tomatoe growing
for me!

Sarah