Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Nick Yull

Default Tomatoes - removing lower leaf stems

Is it true that you should remove the lower leaf stems at the bottom of a
tomato plant to improve the crop of tomatoes.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Paul D.Smith

I believe it depends on the variety. Post and someone can tell you what to
do with yours. Where this is required, I believe that you look for the main
stem, the main branches and then additional stems growing in the "angle"
between the stem and branch - it is these additional stems that are picked
off.

Of course I may be doing it all wrong, in which case someone please "yell"
before I decimate my tomatoes!

Paul DS.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Emrys Davies

'Nick',

The leaves on the bottom branches of your tomato plants tend to become
'spent' as the season progresses and their removal will add to the
circulation of air around your plants and consequently help to prevent
disease. I don't think you will improve the crop by doing this, unless
indirectly.

An interesting site: http://tinyurl.com/f4gj

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Dee

"Nick Yull" wrote in message
Is it true that you should remove the lower leaf stems at the bottom of a
tomato plant to improve the crop of tomatoes.

My own method, not scientifically proven, is to remove quite a few leaves
from all over the plant but only much later in the season. My theory is that
this lets in more light to the fruit and aids ripening. I do this on both
cherry and "normal" toms. Sorry don not know the variety & I am at work not
home

AndyP

Old 29-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:46:10 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

I believe it depends on the variety. Post and someone can tell you what to
do with yours. Where this is required, I believe that you look for the main
stem, the main branches and then additional stems growing in the "angle"
between the stem and branch - it is these additional stems that are picked
off.

Of course I may be doing it all wrong, in which case someone please "yell"
before I decimate my tomatoes!

I'm yelling Paul! What you are refering to are the side shoots, which if
you are growinhg your tomatoe as a cordon, should be removed religously.
what the original poster was refrring to was removing some of the plants
lower main shoots to help the lower fruit get more light and ripen better.
Personaly, I've nevr tried that, but this is only Yr2 of tomatoe growing
for me!

Sarah

Old 01-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Druss

"Nick Yull" wrote in message
Is it true that you should remove the lower leaf stems at the bottom of a
tomato plant to improve the crop of tomatoes.

I did this just last night, but more to improve air circulation and to allow
more light to get to the marigolds, onions, radishes and basil planted in
between the tomato plants. This way I can produce some more tasty crops and
hopefully help prevent bugs/aphids from getting to the plants.

On that note anyone know a good deterrent for whitefly, they seem very fond
of my aubergines this year ?

Duncan

Old 02-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:24:00 +0100, "Druss" wrote:

On that note anyone know a good deterrent for whitefly, they seem very fond
of my aubergines this year ?

Hi Duncan, if whitefly get eaten by Ladybirds (which certainly like
aphids), then you could try transplanting some ladybird grubs. Next to
my allotment, I found a bank of stinging nettles that were covering
aphids, plus platoons of ladybirds & their grubs.

I have since been transferring an occasional few to my greenhouse.

Additional point - can you tell us more about your Aubergines, what
you're doing with them and how they get on?

I have 5 "Slice-rite" aubergines in pots in a greenhouse, plus five
under a large plastic coche/tube in my allotment. 2 of these look like
they might be producing flower buds. The rest are just growing. As
advise, I pinched out the growing tips once the steps got to 12".

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)