Old 29-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Rod

Default Some advice needed on cyclamens

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

What sort of success do you get from dormant corms? I've heard say that
it's difficult to get them going again. Or is it the difference between
a proper nursery that keeps them properly, and GCs that packet them up
and dry them out?
--
Kay Easton

You've raised a very important point Kay. Those big dry corms you see in GCs, usually full of vine weevil holes as well,
are usually taken from wild populations in Turkey or Greece. They should be left well alone if only for that reason, but
in fact they're usually pretty well dead anyway - it's a double whammy so to speak. Anne & Les Cordes grow all of their
own stock and dormant corms from them will survive almost 100%,also I think they learned to count in a different school
from me. Their packs of 50 or 100 usually contain a few extras. I had a look at their site after I posted my message on
here last night and saw they're doing a really good deal on 50s of C. hederifolium and C. coum in smaller sizes. Smaller
sizes to them means ones that didn't flower last year but most will this year. That's how I buy mine and I'm starting to
get some nice patches self seeding now. They also sell seeds for folks who like to do things the hard way.

Rod