Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Some advice needed on cyclamens

Hi

Last years seeds have spent a good year growing away with one leaf per
seed. At the moment they are beginning to look a bit sick.

Is this (i) they are or (ii) natural part of the cycle and a new leaf
will appear in time?

Many thanks

Yours

Andrew J
Dundee

Old 28-06-2003, 04:08 PM

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:31:16 +0100, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
wrote:

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

snipped

If they are the more common hardy types, i.e. C. hederifolium, C. coum
or even the non-hardy C persicum, they will be dying down now. They
should begin to throw out new leaves in about August/Sept if C.
hederifolium and early to mid winter if either of the other two.

Janet G

Janet, and others, many thanks for your responses. I emptied out one
pot and there were a number of pea sized tubers so I am looking
forward to the autumn to see how they develop.

Best wishes

Andrew J
Dundee

Old 28-06-2003, 05:08 PM

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:24:01 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

snipped

Did you put them back the right way up? ;-)

I hope so! Time will tell.

I have a number of pots and I used the weakest looking for my test.

There is a garden down the hill from us that has just a great display
of cyclamens and I surely hope to replicate it.

Thanks

Yours

Andrew J
Dundee

Old 28-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Rod

wrote in message
There is a garden down the hill from us that has just a great display
of cyclamens and I surely hope to replicate it.

Then now's a good time to go buying new corms. While they're dormant some nurseries like Willows at
http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html
have good offers on dormant corms.They're also very nice folks to deal with. (I don't have shares I'm just a happy
customer)

Rod

Old 28-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rod
writes

wrote in message
There is a garden down the hill from us that has just a great display
of cyclamens and I surely hope to replicate it.

Then now's a good time to go buying new corms. While they're dormant some
nurseries like Willows at
http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html
have good offers on dormant corms.They're also very nice folks to deal with. (I
don't have shares I'm just a happy
customer)

What sort of success do you get from dormant corms? I've heard say that
it's difficult to get them going again. Or is it the difference between
a proper nursery that keeps them properly, and GCs that packet them up
and dry them out?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Rod

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

What sort of success do you get from dormant corms? I've heard say that
it's difficult to get them going again. Or is it the difference between
a proper nursery that keeps them properly, and GCs that packet them up
and dry them out?
--
Kay Easton

You've raised a very important point Kay. Those big dry corms you see in GCs, usually full of vine weevil holes as well,
are usually taken from wild populations in Turkey or Greece. They should be left well alone if only for that reason, but
in fact they're usually pretty well dead anyway - it's a double whammy so to speak. Anne & Les Cordes grow all of their
own stock and dormant corms from them will survive almost 100%,also I think they learned to count in a different school
from me. Their packs of 50 or 100 usually contain a few extras. I had a look at their site after I posted my message on
here last night and saw they're doing a really good deal on 50s of C. hederifolium and C. coum in smaller sizes. Smaller
sizes to them means ones that didn't flower last year but most will this year. That's how I buy mine and I'm starting to
get some nice patches self seeding now. They also sell seeds for folks who like to do things the hard way.

Rod

Old 29-06-2003, 07:48 PM

"Rod" wrote in message
:
: wrote in message
: There is a garden down the hill from us that has just a great display
: of cyclamens and I surely hope to replicate it.
:
: Then now's a good time to go buying new corms. While they're dormant some
nurseries like Willows at
: http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html
: have good offers on dormant corms.They're also very nice folks to deal
with. (I don't have shares I'm just a happy
: customer)
:
: Rod
:
Have just ordered some following your recommendation. Look forward to
receiving them in a day or two.

White Cyclamens Padraig Garden Photos 0 29-01-2007 05:44 AM
Red Cyclamens Padraig Garden Photos 0 29-01-2007 05:42 AM
Cyclamens Padraig Garden Photos 0 29-01-2007 05:41 AM
Cyclamens galore paghat Gardening 2 26-10-2005 05:52 PM
cyclamens coming up [email protected] United Kingdom 0 18-10-2003 07:02 PM