Old 29-06-2003, 07:32 PM
jp

Default Damaged Crimson King Maple - Salvage Or Replace?

Hi -

I live in Southern Wisconsin and yesterday we had a storm blow
through. No biggie except for the fact that a good sized limb from
one of my neighbors decaying trees snapped during said storm and came
crashing down on a six year old Crimson King Maple that I have in my
back yard. My neighbor and I extracted the limb immediately but there
was some damage (obviously). The maple is ... well, was, about 15'
tall - now it's like 12' tall. The limb took out the top center
branch or leader branch I believe it's called. So instead of a tree
with something of a pear formation, the center now has kind of a dip
in the middle.

My neighbor has offered to replace the tree but I guess I'd like to
see if it could be salvaged if given some TLC (a proper
trimming/pruning, root feeding, etc). I intend on contacting the
nursery I purchased the tree from to come out and take a look but I
was wondering if the folks in this newsgroup would have any
recommendations or suggestions ..?

Thanks in advance,

jp