Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Default Tree and flower ID?

Consider it a gift.

Ken wrote in message
I have thought about planting daylillies, but as yet have not done so. It

is
an alien visitor.

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
Since your sumac appears to be completely smooth instead of pubescent as

for
the common "Staghorn Sumac", I would say your plant is the "Smooth

Sumac",
Rhus glabra L.

Your red flower is a "Daylily" (Hemerocallis) hybrid. It may have come

as
stowaway with some other plant you bought. If it came up as a volunteer

from
seed, it is something new definitely worth keeping and propagating. Do

you
grow other "Daylilies" in your garden?

Ken wrote in message
Can you help me identify this tree and this flower.

As near as I can determine from my Audobon book, the tree is some kind

of
sumac, but I could be wrong.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/sumac.jpg

The flower just appeared in a flower bed this summer. I don't remember
planting it. It is on a long stem, and the plant reminds me of some

kind
of
bulb or iris plant.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/redflower.jpg