Old 29-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Ken

Default Tree and flower ID?

Can you help me identify this tree and this flower.

As near as I can determine from my Audobon book, the tree is some kind of
sumac, but I could be wrong.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/sumac.jpg

The flower just appeared in a flower bed this summer. I don't remember
planting it. It is on a long stem, and the plant reminds me of some kind of
bulb or iris plant.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/redflower.jpg

Old 29-06-2003, 05:20 PM
David J Bockman

Your tree certainly appears to be a Rhus, unfortunately the photo doesn't
show if there are terminal leaflets.

Dave

Old 29-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Pam

Your tree IS a Sumac, most likely Rhus typhina or Staghorn Sumac. The flower is
a red daylily, but as there are literally several 10's of thousands of daylily
cultivars, I wouldn't presume to guess which one.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-06-2003, 06:20 PM
David J Bockman

A terminal leaflet would be a single leaflet at the end of a pinnately
compound leaf...

Dave

Old 29-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Those in a worse condition than "chronic leaflets"?

The leaves of most (not all) North American species of Rhus are pinnately
compound.

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:46:47 -0400, "Ken" wrote:

Can you help me identify this tree and this flower.

As near as I can determine from my Audobon book, the tree is some kind of
sumac, but I could be wrong.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/sumac.jpg

Yeah, it's a buckhorn sumac I think. They're pretty common.

The flower just appeared in a flower bed this summer. I don't remember
planting it. It is on a long stem, and the plant reminds me of some kind of
bulb or iris plant.

http://k_cook.home.mindspring.com/redflower.jpg

That's a daylily. It's a rhizome or some similar kind of root.

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Since your sumac appears to be completely smooth instead of pubescent as for
the common "Staghorn Sumac", I would say your plant is the "Smooth Sumac",
Rhus glabra L.

Your red flower is a "Daylily" (Hemerocallis) hybrid. It may have come as a
stowaway with some other plant you bought. If it came up as a volunteer from
seed, it is something new definitely worth keeping and propagating. Do you
grow other "Daylilies" in your garden?

Old 29-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Mike Stevenson

I had that same flower, or at least on very similar appear in my yard this
year as well. From out of an area I am unable to mow it just sprang up and I
have about 5 or 6 flowers on this plant.

Old 29-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

That's nice but that is not required to be seen to identify the Eastern US
Rhus species.

Plant pubescent and leaf stalk not winged = Rhus typhina L.

Plant smooth and leaf stalk not winged = Rhus glabra L.

Plant pubescent when young and leaf stalk winged = Rhus copallina L.

Old 29-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Ken

Any idea how a daylilly could get planted in my yard without me doing it? Is
this the kind of thing birds or suirrels can bring into your yard and drop
off or bury?

Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Yeah, pixies can into your yard in the middle of the night and planted it
for you. Its not the work of industrious birds or landscaping squirrels.

Obviously it either came in the pot of something else you bought or from a
stray seedling.