Old 30-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Mike Stevenson

Default Problems with germinating Broccoli...

I am starting some Broccoli transplants to be put out later in the Summer
for a Fall crop. I have put 4 seeds in each peat flat to be thinned out
later once the small plants have come up. I started pepper plants in the
same type of peat flats in the same container, and set it in the same
location. The temperature inside my house never gets above the low to mid
80s. I also started morning glory seedlings in the same way and those just
exploded with growth after only 4 days. The peppers germinated in about a
week. However my broccoli hasn't germinated after 11 days and I'm getting
worried. I have kept them moist and as cool as possible inside the house,
without being TOO cool, somewhere in the 70 to 85 range during the night and
day. I am aware broccoli does not germinate well in warm temperatures. I am
dealing with 4 different varieties of Broccoli, which I got from Burpee this
year. Can anyone offer any additional hints to something I may be missing?