Old 30-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Mike Stevenson

Default Problems with germinating Broccoli...

I am starting some Broccoli transplants to be put out later in the Summer
for a Fall crop. I have put 4 seeds in each peat flat to be thinned out
later once the small plants have come up. I started pepper plants in the
same type of peat flats in the same container, and set it in the same
location. The temperature inside my house never gets above the low to mid
80s. I also started morning glory seedlings in the same way and those just
exploded with growth after only 4 days. The peppers germinated in about a
week. However my broccoli hasn't germinated after 11 days and I'm getting
worried. I have kept them moist and as cool as possible inside the house,
without being TOO cool, somewhere in the 70 to 85 range during the night and
day. I am aware broccoli does not germinate well in warm temperatures. I am
dealing with 4 different varieties of Broccoli, which I got from Burpee this
year. Can anyone offer any additional hints to something I may be missing?

Old 30-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

Don't give up too soon. Mine takes a long time and I usually only get about
50 percent germination. When mine start coming up, I put them outside in
the sun and let them go. That way when they are the size for planting, they
have already been hardened off.

Dwayne

Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

Thanks Dwayne for the advice. I'll try to be a bit more patient with them
and keep a close eye. I didn't do a proper hardening off with the pepper
plants and boy did I pay for that, out of 20 starts, 15 plants developed to
transplant size, and only 8 survived the first night. That was purely my
fault. Now that the shock is over and the weather has really improved in
this area, the peppers are doing very well.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:20 PM
AgentFriday

Hi Mike,

I wish I had some advice to give you, because that would probably mean that
I wasn't having exactly the same problem you are.

Last year I got maybe 25% of the seeds to sprout, which I thought was
pretty lousy. Ha! If only I did that well this year. My first planting
was 12 seeds in potting soil... two sprouted, and then when the temp hit
95+ they died. My second attempt (again, 12 seeds in potting soil) yielded
only one sprouter, which is doing rather nicely now. I decided to see if I
had better luck sowing them directly in the ground, which is what people
told me I should do. Well, I planted them almost 3 weeks ago now, and not
a one came up.

So I'm here to echo your question. Actually, that's the very reason I
ended stumbling upon this newsgroup. I've been searching the web for info.
on cultivating broccoli, but nothing has really told me where I went wrong.

good luck,
--Steve

"Mike Stevenson" wrote in
:

Old 06-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Mike Stevenson

Well I'm guessing this is related to heat. The temperatures inside the house
during the day are in the mid 80s(F) (well in the un-air conditioned parts
of the house.) My broccoli seeds still have not sprouted. I dug a few out of
one of the peat pots and they have simply turned brown, they had not even
busted open. I'm concerned my hopes for a Fall crop of broccoli may be
dashed. I think I am going to try moving the tray they are in into the
bedroom, which is air conditioned down to around 70F.

I'll do some snooping around online as well. I did read that broccoli (and
some kinds of lettuce, particularly leaf types) have trouble germinating in
soil/weather that is too warm. But I didn't think my house would be
considered too warm hehe. Being in Zone 6b we might get 2 weeks of weather
in the 90s at the most. Usually its much less than that, so I figured it
wouldn't be a real problem here. But alas....

Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Agent Friday

"Mike Stevenson" wrote in
t:

Well I'm guessing this is related to heat. The temperatures inside the
house during the day are in the mid 80s(F) (well in the un-air
conditioned parts of the house.) My broccoli seeds still have not
sprouted. I dug a few out of one of the peat pots and they have simply
turned brown, they had not even busted open. I'm concerned my hopes
for a Fall crop of broccoli may be dashed. I think I am going to try
moving the tray they are in into the bedroom, which is air conditioned
down to around 70F.

From my searching on the web, heat has been my best guess as well. One
site mentioned that the plants should fully mature before hot weather
arrives, so I'm guessing that the seeds may have the same attitude about
heat.

My one surviving plant is in the ground and growing nicely. I don't expect
to eat it necessarily, but I'm just letting it grow for the fun of it.
Maybe I can get some seeds from it.

Have a good one,
--Steve
Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

Ok I've moved the container into the air conditioned room. Hopefully this
will change the progress of these poor things. I've yet to have a single
sprout. It's been like 3 weeks since I started them. Should I try new seeds?

t...

Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Agent Friday

Back in early May I tried starting some pepper seeds, which said 10-20 days
for germination. I often left the starter tray out on my front porch, even
at night. A month later, plenty of tomato plants, but no peppers. So I
decided to start over with new seeds--But I kept watering the first batch,
just in case...

I had read somewhere that peppers needed warm soil to sprout, so from then
on I made sure that they were inside at night, and I put them in the sun
during the day. Most of the seeds, even from the original planting, ended
up sprouting!

So anyway, I guess *I* would tend to play it safe and start with some new
seeds, in case the original ones are shot. But they might just be
patiently waiting for the right conditions.

Good Luck!
--Steve

"Mike Stevenson" wrote in
t:

Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 AM
V_coerulea

I've never had a problem germinating broccoli in warm conditions. If I did,
I wouldn't get any at all.
After germination, they prefer cooler growing conditions. I'd say your seed
is old or poor quality. Get some new seed and I'll bet they sprout in 10
days or less. We sow seed in the fall for a winter crop that goes on into
Jan-Feb.with side shoots, and we plant another crop to bear in April. In
winter we supply extra heat to germinate the seeds (10 days), then grow them
cooler at the 1 leaf stage before they fall over.

"Agent Friday" wrote in message
"Mike Stevenson" wrote in
t:

Well I'm guessing this is related to heat. The temperatures inside the
house during the day are in the mid 80s(F) (well in the un-air
conditioned parts of the house.) My broccoli seeds still have not
sprouted. I dug a few out of one of the peat pots and they have simply
turned brown, they had not even busted open. I'm concerned my hopes
for a Fall crop of broccoli may be dashed. I think I am going to try
moving the tray they are in into the bedroom, which is air conditioned
down to around 70F.

From my searching on the web, heat has been my best guess as well. One

Old 13-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Mike Stevenson

Well they've had warm and dark, warm and bright, cool and dark, and cool and
bright conditions and still no sprouts. I SOPPOSE the seeds could be poor or
old, but I would like to believe Burpee's would sell better quality seed
than that. Everything else I got from them has done very well.

As far as sowing in the Fall for a winter crop...what zone are you in? Is
this feasible in zone 6b? I've been in this particular area for about 3
winters now. I am a native of zone 7, and I am not sure it could over winter
there (then again perhaps I'm not giving that delicious broccoli enough
credit). The temps here in this area (WV Panhandle Zone 6B) get below
freezing at least some part of the winter, and of course last year we had
one of the coldest and snowest winters this area has ever seen. Can broccoli
survive this?

On a side note my poor poor tomatoes have had the crap beat out of them by a
nasty storm that moved through the area yesterday. It all but killed one of
my Sweet Treat 100s (5+ FT tall cherries). I mourn the loss of the poor
thing. I managed to survive the ravages of hungry rabbits while it was still
a young plant, and is (was) just as hardy as the rest of the tomatoes until
this...

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From my searching on the web, heat has been my best guess as well. One