Old 30-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Garden Envy

Default Damaged Crimson King Maple - Salvage Or Replace?

"... but I guess I'd like to
see if it could be salvaged if given some TLC (a proper
trimming/pruning, root feeding, etc). I intend on contacting the
nursery I purchased the tree from to come out and take a look ...

Since Acer platanoides does not, at maturity, have a central leader,
your tree will probably make it OK. If it were a tree whose branches
all came off the main trunk, I would start over, or you'd end up with
a big ball on a stick! Not having seen it, however, I would have
someone knowledgeable come and check it out.

Good luck... we had a 'strong wind' (read 'tornado') come through here
earlier this month that snapped a 2.5 foot in diameter pin oak off 5
feet from the ground.

www.garden-envy.com :: free newsletter, tip-sheets, e-courses, & more.