Old 30-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Alan Gould

Default strawberry runners

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
essness.fsnet.co.uk writes
Hi folks.

Yes I know there's another thread about these going on below, but it's
descending into chaos, and I was wondering wether to remove the runners from
the plants which are becoming a tangled mess. I have pegged down several to
increase the stock, but what I want to know is will removing the surplus
runners prolong/increase the fruiting?

We peg strawberry runners into 3.5in. polypots and let them grow on
still attached to the main plant. When they are large enough, we plant
them directly into their new growing positions. That way the new plants
have the earliest possible start to give us a good first year crop the
following season. We replace strawberry plants after 3 or 4 crops.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.