Old 29-06-2003, 10:56 PM
shazzbat

Default strawberry runners

Hi folks.

Yes I know there's another thread about these going on below, but it's
descending into chaos, and I was wondering wether to remove the runners from
the plants which are becoming a tangled mess. I have pegged down several to
increase the stock, but what I want to know is will removing the surplus
runners prolong/increase the fruiting?

TIA

Steve

Old 30-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Alan Gould

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spaml
essness.fsnet.co.uk writes
Hi folks.

Yes I know there's another thread about these going on below, but it's
descending into chaos, and I was wondering wether to remove the runners from
the plants which are becoming a tangled mess. I have pegged down several to
increase the stock, but what I want to know is will removing the surplus
runners prolong/increase the fruiting?

We peg strawberry runners into 3.5in. polypots and let them grow on
still attached to the main plant. When they are large enough, we plant
them directly into their new growing positions. That way the new plants
have the earliest possible start to give us a good first year crop the
following season. We replace strawberry plants after 3 or 4 crops.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 30-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Victoria Clare

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

Hi folks.

Yes I know there's another thread about these going on below, but it's
descending into chaos, and I was wondering wether to remove the
runners from the plants which are becoming a tangled mess. I have
pegged down several to increase the stock, but what I want to know is
will removing the surplus runners prolong/increase the fruiting?

My Ken Muir 'grow your own fruit' book says you can chop 'em off to get
bigger better single plants, or you can let 6-9 runners per plant root to
form 'matted rows'.

From single plants

"a higher proportion of large sized fruit may be expected than from matted
rows which though more difficult to keep free from weeds, bear a heavier
crop of fruit".

It doesn't say that letting runners develop will affect this year's crop,
but it doesn't say it won't either.

Anyone want to swap a few strawberry runners? I have Gariguette and alpine
strawberries.

Gariguette has a very good flavour, and is an early variety: I would like
some later-cropping or perpetual ones.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

strawberry runners Laura J Gardening 2 17-07-2004 02:02 AM
Saving strawberry runners IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 2 08-10-2003 05:13 AM
Strawberry Runners Janice United Kingdom 2 10-09-2003 07:42 AM
Strawberry runners Rick McGreal United Kingdom 21 02-07-2003 02:44 PM
Strawberry runners Rick McGreal United Kingdom 7 24-06-2003 01:56 PM