Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Hostas killing birch trees?

In article ,
"loki" writes:

| Interesting. My mother has a clump of birch trees that is 30 years old. I
| remember it being planted when I was pregnant with my first child who just
| celebrated her 30th birthday.
|
| I doubt these are exceptions. I remember birch that were that old all over
| the place.
|
| What sorts die at 15 years?

Less the species than the conditions. Many birches are trees of
the far north, and live for quite a long time in really miserable
conditions. In southern England, they typically live longer than
30 years, but are not all that long-lived.

So, anything from 15 to 150 years, depending ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.