Old 30-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

ks said:

On 29 Jun 2003 18:46:33 GMT,
(FarmerDill) wrote:

Potatoes are very susceptible to broad leaf weed killers such as 2-4D, If you
used lawn clippings from a treated lawn, it can cause a problem,

I've always wondered about this. I thought the toxins dissipated from the
clippings quite quickly.
I used quite a bit of killer on my lawn this year.
Just moved in and it was more weed than grass.
Are the clippings OK in the compost bin?

Depends on what was in the weed killer (in part) as some persist longer in
compost than others. The worst problems are with CLOPYRALID and PICLORAM.
TROCLOPYR can also be a problem.

Start with a pile of compost which has a certain amount of weed killer
in it. When the composting process is done, let's say 3/4 the weed killer was
destroyed. But the volume of compost has shrunk to 1/8 of the original volume.
The compost now has twice as much weed killer (per volume) as the starting
material. (The shrinkage is not exaggerated, either, based on my experience.)

See
http://www.state.me.us/dep/rwm/resid...herbicides.htm
(or run a search on herbicides + compost for more information)

To the originator of the thread: I think it is possible that unfinished compost
(still in the actively rotting phase) is not an ideal thing to hill up potatoes with.
The addition of some juicy green stems to fluffed up compost usually relights
the fires, so to speak. My own preference is for chopped up straw.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)