Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Problems with germinating Broccoli...

Thanks Dwayne for the advice. I'll try to be a bit more patient with them
and keep a close eye. I didn't do a proper hardening off with the pepper
plants and boy did I pay for that, out of 20 starts, 15 plants developed to
transplant size, and only 8 survived the first night. That was purely my
fault. Now that the shock is over and the weather has really improved in
this area, the peppers are doing very well.

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Don't give up too soon. Mine takes a long time and I usually only get

about
50 percent germination. When mine start coming up, I put them outside in
the sun and let them go. That way when they are the size for planting,

they
have already been hardened off.

Dwayne

"Mike Stevenson" wrote in message
I am starting some Broccoli transplants to be put out later in the

Summer
for a Fall crop. I have put 4 seeds in each peat flat to be thinned out
later once the small plants have come up. I started pepper plants in the
same type of peat flats in the same container, and set it in the same
location. The temperature inside my house never gets above the low to

mid
80s. I also started morning glory seedlings in the same way and those

just
exploded with growth after only 4 days. The peppers germinated in about

week. However my broccoli hasn't germinated after 11 days and I'm

getting
worried. I have kept them moist and as cool as possible inside the

house,
without being TOO cool, somewhere in the 70 to 85 range during the night

and
day. I am aware broccoli does not germinate well in warm temperatures. I

am
dealing with 4 different varieties of Broccoli, which I got from Burpee

this
year. Can anyone offer any additional hints to something I may be

missing?