Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Tomatoes not ripening

Some of the information I've come across says that the cells in the tomato
plant that form the pigments do not function well in extended temperatures
above 83 degree F. They simply wont ripen. This may be false information, or
there are varieties breed as workarounds. Still you said temps were in the
80s...high 80s? Are most people having this problem in higher temp zones,
experiencing a heat wave, or just impatient?

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On 27 Jun 2003 18:42:04 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

My grape tomatoes have plenty of foliage, plenty of flowers and plenty
of fruit. Problem is...they're not ripening. The fruit still keep
a-coming, but even the first set haven't even started to "pink up",
and they've been on the vine for (literally) weeks. We've had lots of
sun and temps in the 80's.

Do I just need to wait, or is this a sign of some deficiency?

Patience, Grasshopper. Around here we set out plants around May 1st
and expect (the first) ripe tomatoes by 4th of July. With a cool
spring, this may be over-hopeful. "...on the vine for (literally)
weeks" begs for factual data. My sister hasn't answered my last e-mail
in months. Well, weeks and weeks. Well, looking it up, 9 days.

Your tomatoes will ripen. Not to worry.