Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Shasta Daisy from Seed

Where are you growing them? Inside or outside? I grew 'Alaska' Shasta
Daisies from seed this past spring. I started them in peat pots and packed
them closely together in a plastic black tray used for quart sized plants
sold at nurseries. The tray had some drainage holes, but also held water at
the bottom of the peat pots for better water retention. I grew them outside
on a table facing west in my screened in porch area. They were sheltered,
but also had access to sun and wind.

Mine also laid down in all directions with thin stems, but once I
transplanted them into the ground, they started to thicken and stand up. If
you aren't going to plant them for awhile into a permanent area, you might
want to transplant them into deeper pots and move them into a less sheltered
area with more air circulation outside. I also fed mine with fish emulsion.

I think your situation is pretty normal. Once they are planted, they will
strengthen. Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Jill Claus" wrote in message
I am trying to grow some Shasta Daisy's from seed. They germinated and

are
growing, but are very limp - they are about 4 inches tall, but the stems

are
so weak, they don't stand up. Is this normal? What should I do? Any

help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jill